By Harry M. Benshoff
- Contributors contain a number of the most interesting teachers operating within the box, in addition to intriguing more youthful scholars
- Varied and finished assurance, from the heritage of horror to broader problems with censorship, gender, and sexuality
- Covers either English-language and non-English horror movie traditions
- Key themes comprise horror movie aesthetics, theoretical ways, distribution, paintings condo cinema, ethnographic surrealism, and horror's relation to documentary movie practice
- A thorough therapy of this dynamic movie style suited for students and lovers alike
Read or Download A Companion to the Horror Film PDF
Similar film & video art books
Because the overdue Eighties, Hal Hartley has challenged criteria of realist narrative cinema with bold narrative structures, personality improvement, and the production of an unconventional visible international. during this pioneering serious evaluation of his paintings and its cultural-historical context, Mark L. Berrettini discusses seven of Hartley's function movies, together with The unimaginable fact, belief, basic males, novice, Henry idiot, Fay Grim, and The ebook of existence.
What makes a movie "work," in order that audiences come clear of the viewing adventure refreshed or even remodeled within the approach they comprehend themselves and the area round them? within the loss of life and lifetime of Drama, veteran screenwriter and screenwriting instructor Lance Lee tackles this query in a sequence of private essays that completely examine drama's function in our society, in addition to the weather that constitution all drama, from the performs of historical Athens to trendy most well-liked videos.
One of many first narrative movies to be pro¬duced in Britain, the 1905 brief Rescued by means of Rover used to be a fast paced, quick-edited story of abduction and kidnap, and the 1st British sound movie, Hitchcock s Blackmail (1930), headquartered on homicide and legal guilt. but for a style so very important to the British cinematic personality, there's little theoretical or old paintings interested in it.
Neorealism and the "New" Italy facilities on neorealist Italian artists' use of compassion as a automobile to precise their characters' interactions. Simonetta Milli Konewko proposes that compassion as an emotion should be activated to unify sure participants and groups and investigates the mechanisms that allowed compassion to function throughout the postwar interval.
- Theaters of Occupation: Hollywood and the Reeducation of Postwar Germany
- Australian Film Festivals: Audience, Place, and Exhibition Culture (Framing Film Festivals)
- Homo Cinematicus: Science, Motion Pictures, and the Making of Modern Germany (Intellectual History of the Modern Age)
- Cinematography (Behind the Silver Screen Series Book 3)
- Networked Reenactments: Stories Transdisciplinary Knowledges Tell
Additional resources for A Companion to the Horror Film
A Companion to the Horror Film by Harry M. Benshoff